The Medical Records Clerk performs a variety of clerical duties involved in organizing, securing and maintaining patient medical records to include filing, retrieving and distributing medical records, loose notes and reports and maintaining associated logs and records in accordance with established priorities and procedures in any section of the Medical Record Department.
- Sorts, files and collates a variety of medical records and information such as intake documents, enrollment agreements, laboratory and x-ray reports, assessments, physician orders, medical information release forms and all other patient-related documentation into patient medical records in any section of the Medical Record Department.
- Upon notification from the clinic, ensures that all filing in the medical record is current and up- to-date for participants with scheduled appointments.
- Files and retrieves medical records; researches lost or missing records in accordance with established procedures.
- Processes all requests for medical records and reports. Tracks outstanding requests and initiates correspondence to all outside medical providers and clinics to acquire any report or any visit or recommendation made at outside medical visits.
- Conducts chart audits to verify accuracy of filing and presence of all required documentation.
- Answers telephone and takes requests for medical records and reports.
- Closes out disenrolled/deceased charts, ensures complete record, includes discharge summary, ensures all notes are signed in PACE Care and closes out charts in EMR.
- Assists the clinic and other staff members in retrieving and copying medical information from patient medical records to answer authorized requests in support of patient care activities.
- Oversees sign out and return of medical record charts.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Work requires knowledge of basic clerical and communication principles generally acquired through a high school education.
- HIPAA/CMS knowledge and adherence to same.
- Must demonstrate sound judgement and be able to work both independently and in the team environment.
- Must be courteous and dependable, maintain a calm and even disposition and exercise good judgement when dealing with challenging issues or people.
- Must be sensitive to the issues of aged individuals with multicultural background.
- 1-2 years of Medical Office experience, required
- 2 years of experience working in medical records, highly preferred
- Knowledge of medical terminology required; certificate in medical terminology, preferred
- Must be detail oriented with exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrated proficiency working within an Electronic Medical Record
- Ability to multitask and manage changing priorities
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word & MS Excel
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with HIPAA
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent, required
- Valid driver’s license with ability to travel between sites and to offsite storage facilities as necessary